Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Meditation

Over the last few days i've been attempting to track down a good overview on meditation, and haven't had much luck. Which has brought me to the conclusion that i will formulate one myself. I don't wish to do anything comprehensive, but simply to create a straightforward breakdown of meditation. I"m sure I'll leave out tons of stuff, but i'm going to cover at least the most popular aspects of practice. To begin with i'm going to break it down into two categories and then hopefully ellaborate further from that point. Types of Meditation:
  • Concentration
  • Mantra
  • Contemplation (Reflection)
  • Devotion
  • Visualization
  • Movement
  • Mindfullness
  • Formless Awareness
Major Meditative Traditions:
  • Buddhist
  • Yoga
  • Taoist
  • Christian
  • Sufi
  • Kabbalah
In the next post i will at least give types of meditation within the various traditions.

2 comments:

Just a face in the crowd.... said...

I'm a Christian, there's an excellent book called a Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster that covers, very well I might add, Christian meditation.

Bindu said...

Thank you for the input!